Skip to main content

Copyright Permission Service

The Library will obtain clearance for your use of copyrighted materials that are available in the Copyright Clearance Center (CCC), but please be aware that cost limitations do apply ($150 per class per semester).  For materials that are not available via the CCC or that exceed the cost limitation, it is the instructor's responsibility to obtain copyright permissions as needed.  You can find information on obtaining copyright permission at the Tools for Instructors tab above.

We can obtain permission for the following types of uses:

  • photocopying for course packs, classroom handouts
  • photocopying for reserves
  • posting electronic reserves, posting in Blackboard
  • use in e-mail, intranet, Internet posting
  • republication into a book, journal, newsletter

No permission is needed in the following situations:

  • use of U.S. Government works
  • use of items published before 1923
  • use of other items in the public domain
  • linking to an item in a Library subscription database 
  • the use qualifies as a Fair Use exemption 


Electronic Course Materials

Camden-Carroll Library recommends that course reserves be posted in digital format whenever possible.
The author's permission is required if:

  • you post the same copyrighted material for two or more consecutive semesters;
  • the item exceeds one chapter or 10% of a book, or more than one journal article per issue.

If so, the Library will attempt to obtain permission for you.

Visit the Library's Course Reserves Service for more information.


Material in Blackboard

If you need permission to post copyrighted material in your course shell, contact the Regional Campus Library Services office at 606-783-5114.

Remember, no permission is needed if you provide a link to an item in a library subscription database. See the Library Resources in Blackboard guide for more information on linking to library resources in Blackboard.

  • Morehead (Residential Campus)
    150 University Blvd., Morehead, KY 40351
  • Admissions
    121 E. Second St., Morehead, KY 40351
  • Financial Aid
    121 E. Second St., Morehead, KY 40351
  • Accounting & Financial Services (Student Billing)
    207 Howell-McDowell, Morehead, KY 40351
  • Registrar
    201 Ginger Hall, Morehead, KY 40351
Major In You.