Skip to main content

Course Substitution

Eligible students may transfer “a maximum of nine semester hours of graduate credit earned at another institution” into the online MA in English at MSU (Graduate Catalog). As the Catalog notes, this credit must have “been earned at an accredited graduate institution within 10 years of the date on which the graduate program requirements are completed,” be considered “acceptable as credit toward a comparable program at the institution from which transfer is sought,” and “carry a mark of ‘B’ or better.” 

Students who believe that they have eligible work that can and should be transferred into the program must submit a course substitution form for every course they wish to transfer. Each form must be accompanied by an official transcript that documents when the course was taken and the grade that was achieved. The program coordinator (and/or department chair) reserves the right to request more information regarding possible transfer courses (information such as catalogue descriptions or course syllabi), should the need arise. 

Completed course substitution forms (and their accompanying official transcripts) should be mailed to: 
Graduate Coordinator (c/o Ms. Sheila Barber
Department of English 
102 Combs Building 
Morehead, KY 49351 

Points about course substitutions every student should know: 
  • Students DO NOT need to submit their Social Security numbers, even if the form itself asks for it.  All a student needs to provide is his/her MSU ID number.  
  • Multiple substitutions CANNOT be taken care of on the same form. Students must submit a separate form for each course s/he wishes to transfer. If this procedure is not followed, the transfer paperwork will not be processed. 
  • One official transcript can serve as the proper documentation for multiple forms.  In such cases, the multiple forms should be mailed together as one unit. 
  • Students are responsible for ensuring that the department receives official transcripts.  If students are not physically able to mail official transcripts with their completed application forms, they should call and/or email the departmental office to make sure that the official transcripts were received.  
  • Students are responsible for providing any supplementary material that may be requested. If students fail to supply the supplementary material (material such as catalogue descriptions or syllabi), the transfer will not be approved. 
  • Students are responsible for justifying why a course from another institution should substitute for a degree requirement at MSU, and the coordinator and chair are responsible for evaluating those justifications and pieces of evidence. The submission of a form only starts a possible transfer process. It does not guarantee transfer. 
  • Course substitution forms do not always have to designate a specific class for which the transfer work substitutes. In such cases, students need only to note the requirement covered by the transferred coursework (e.g., a transferred course in Screenwriting from an accredited school could count toward the 3-hour Writing requirement in the English MA, just as a graduate-level education course could count toward the 6 hours in a related field). 
  • No coursework can be transferred into the program until a student has successfully completed at least 3 hours of graduate English coursework at MSU.
  • Morehead (Residential Campus)
    150 University Blvd., Morehead, KY 40351
  • Admissions
    121 E. Second St., Morehead, KY 40351
  • Financial Aid
    121 E. Second St., Morehead, KY 40351
  • Accounting & Financial Services (Student Billing)
    207 Howell-McDowell, Morehead, KY 40351
  • Registrar
    201 Ginger Hall, Morehead, KY 40351
Major In You.