With the beginning of the fall semester, Morehead State University reminds students of its emergency notification protocol.
An outdoor, audible alert system which utilizes electronic tones and public address speakers is set to begin another year of operation. The system, which includes high powered amplifiers atop Cartmell and Ginger halls and Jayne Stadium, is designed primarily to alert pedestrians on campus sidewalks and streets.
“Like other campuses, we have constant foot traffic and those individuals outdoors deserve to be notified in the same timely fashion as others who are indoors,” said MSU President Wayne D. Andrews. “This is yet another means of warning our academic community of impending danger in weather or safety emergencies.”
He also reported that MSU has an emergency procedure handbook for all employees and the same information is available on the Web and on posters displayed in classrooms, labs and offices.
“We are constantly reviewing our emergency communications procedures to protect the safety of our students, faculty, staff and visitors,” Dr. Andrews added. “Our text messaging system has been in place for nearly seven years and we continue to encourage members of our community to sign up."
MSU also utilizes a number of other media strategies to communicate with its campus community. Depending upon the nature of the emergency, any or all of the following methods may be used:
• Cell phone text messaging with email (Eagle Alerts); Sign up is voluntary but strongly recommended;
• Mass email to students and employees;
• MSU Facebook and Twitter;
• Postings on University website and MyMoreheadState.edu;
• Radio, TV, and other media outlets, including Morehead State Public Radio;
• Campus cable television override announcements;
• Digital information system displays;
• Printed notices in residence halls and administrative and academic buildings.
Additional information on MSU’s emergency procedures can be found at www.moreheadstate.edu/emergency/.
HI: 72° LO: 51°
© Copyright 2014 Morehead State University -
150 University Blvd. Morehead, KY 40351 • 1.800.585.6781
MSU is an affirmative action, equal opportunity, educational institution.