LTC Alan R. Baldwin Veterans Center
304 Breckinridge HallPhone: firstname.lastname@example.org
Students seeking information concerning veteran's benefits should meet with the School Certifying Official, Joey Bryant, in Ginger Hall 201B. To make an appointment, please call 606-783-2878.
You may be eligible for benefits if your military service places you in one of the following chapters: Chapter 33 - Post 9/11 GI Bill. Provides benefits for Active Duty Veterans. Implemented Aug. 1, 2009 Chapter 31 - Vocational rehabilitation benefits for disabled veterans. Chapter 30 - Montgomery GI Bill for Active Duty Veterans. Chapter 35 - Education assistance benefits for dependents and survivors of certain veterans who have serious disabilities as the result of their service, or who have died of a service connected cause. Chapter 1606 - Provides benefits to students participating in the National Guard and/or Reserves. Chapter 1607 - Educational assistance for reserve component members supporting contingency operations and certain other operations. Also referred to as REAP.
Once you are advance-registered or registered as a student at the university:
1. File an application for benefits (Apply Online).
2. Dependents do not file a DD 214 but you must have the Veteran's file numbers to apply for benefits.
3. Once you have advance-registered or registered as a student at the university and filed an application for your VA education benefits, you must contact the School Certifying Official in the Registrar’s Office, Joey Bryant, 606.783.2878, for an enrollment certification to be submitted to the regional office.
Certification of benefits
1. Veterans are certified only for those classes that are required for their degree program. It is your responsibility to take at least 12 hours of degree required courses to qualify for full-time benefits as an undergraduate student. Full-time for graduate students requires 9 hours of degree required courses. You should make sure that all courses are required in your program. Audited courses do not count as part of your course load in qualifying for benefits. Courses that have a passing grade cannot be certified if the class is repeated. Courses not on your program evaluation cannot be certified.
2. If you change from full-time to part-time status you must file this change with the School Certifying Official.
3. Veteran Education Benefits are certified on a semester basis. Break pay, i.e., Christmas break, is no longer paid.
4. If you change programs or are a transfer student, you must fill out a Change of Program/Place of Training form with the School Certifying Official at 201 Ginger Hall.
Everyone receiving MGIB - Active Duty benefits, as well as those in the Selected Reserve, must verify his or her enrollment each month to receive payment for that month. Your enrollment can be verified on the last calendar day of the month using the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) at https://www.gibill.va.gov/wave or by calling the toll-free Interactive Voice Response (IVR) telephone line at 1-877-823-2378. Participants in the Post 9/11 chapter are not required to verify your enrollment through WAVE.
© Copyright 2015 Morehead State University -
150 University Blvd. Morehead, KY 40351 • 1-800-585-6781
MSU is an affirmative action, equal opportunity, educational institution.