The Dynamic Duo Project, funded by the Council for Postsecondary Education, provides yearlong professional development to teachers, grades 6-9 from Adair, Boyd, Carter, Green, Greenup and Taylor counties. The project, targeting middle and high school math educators, focuses on applying scientifically researched instructional strategies, the Common Core Standards, to improve math achievement, specifically algebra.
Content Experts from M3: Making Math Magic and project staff from Morehead State University’s 21st Century Education Enterprise will engage 29 middle and high school math and collaborating special education teachers in a professional development delivery system modeled on the Kentucky Reading Project. Teachers participate in a 7-day workshop at Lindsey Wilson College and KEDC over the summer, and receive follow-up coaching throughout the year.
- Data Assessment Meetings: Focus groups consisting of math, science and special education teachers meet with the Professional Development Coordinator for a Data Retreat where they analyze CATS, EPAS and NCLB data to identify needs to address in their team action plans.
- Seven Day Summer Institute: Participants in the Summer Institute receive a $700 stipend, free instructional materials and travel reimbursement.
- On-going, Job-embedded, Professional Development: During the academic year, teachers implement their action plans while receiving mentoring and content support from mathematics content.
- Online Learning Community: The Professional Development Coordinator develops and maintains an online community space on Edmodo, an online course management system, to support the work of participants. Included in this community space are online learning modules developed by project staff and mathematics content experts to support the institute sessions, instructional videos, discussion areas for organized and informal discussions, a document room, online assessments, surveys and announcements.
- Culminating Showcase: In the spring, teams meet again to share their successes, challenges and advice.