Print Logo
  • Much more H2O

    Facilities Management

  • Much more scenic

    Facilities Management

  • Much more about you

    Facilities Management

  • Much more dedicated

    Facilities Management

  • Much more progress.

    Facilities Management

MSU Home :: Regulations


Construction/Renovation Requests

Motor Pool

  • General Rules & Regulations
  • Travel Request Forms
  • Vehicle Costs 
  • Vehicle Operators
  • Accidents
  • State Credit Cards
  • 10 Passenger Van Guidelines



Construction/Renovation Requests

Maintenance or renovation - What's the difference? 

Anything that extends or changes the physical characteristics of a room or building on campus is a renovation; for example, the addition of a new outlet would be considered a "renovation". The repair of an existing electrical outlet would be considered "maintenance". "Maintenance" is funded by the Office of  Facilities Management, "Renovations" are funded by the requesting department.

Please call the Work Control Center at 783-2147 for questions regarding a general maintenance project.

[Return to Top]

Renovation Project

For a renovation project, such as carpet, partitions, painting, etc., a Renovation/Construction Estimate Request form must be filled out, signed and sent to the Office of Facilities Management. The construction manager will then determine the scope of work and calculate a project cost estimate. This form is then sent back to the requester for his/her review and approval. If the requester wants to proceed with a project, then the estimate form and an approved interaccount request should be sent to the Office of Facilities Management for scheduling. A Renovation/Construction Estimate Request form can be obtained from the Office of Facilities Management.


Who Completes the job requested?

Depending on the scope of work, a construction/renovation project will either be performed by our skilled trades employees or contracted out. In order to comply with all laws and regulations regarding state-owned facilities, it is necessary that all construction/renovations be directed through the Office of Facilities Management.


Motor Pool

General Rules & Regulations

  • Vehicles shall be used solely for performing official state or university business and any other use is prohibited.
  • Vehicles shall not be driven to or parked at a place of residence.
  • Passengers shall be limited to only university personnel and persons connected with official state or university business on the particular trip.
  • Operators of vehicles shall return the vehicle to the same pool from which it was assigned. Vehicles returned after working hours shall be locked. Deposit the keys and credit card in the designated receptacle.
  • Operators shall report any observed malfunctions or potential problems, such as faulty brakes, tires, steering, etc. when returning a vehicle.
  • The Operator and all passengers must wear seat belts.
  • Student operators must be in compliance with University Administrative Regulation 311.01, MSU Student Motor Vehicle Operating Program.
  • A valid operator's license must be presented when a university vehicle is signed out from the Office of Facilities Management.
  • Vehicles shall be used solely for performing official state or university business and any other use is prohibited.


Travel Request Forms

When an employee plans a trip for official university purposes, a travel request form must be prepared and approved prior to the trip. This form requires two signatures and is sent to the Office of Accounting and Budgetary Control for processing. If a vehicle is requested, this form is then forwarded to the Work Control Center for scheduling and returned to the employee for scheduling verification. The following sections describe Morehead State University's travel regulations.


 Vehicle Costs

  • University cars - .36 per mile or Under 49 miles $18 per day 
  • University vans - .52 per mile or Under 49 miles $26 per day
  • All trips requiring a university driver shall include the cost of driver's meals, hotels, parking and tolls. An extra driver may be required for long trips at the cost of $16 per hour (regular) and $24 per hour (overtime).
  • All mileage slips must have beginning and ending mileage or an estimation will be charged.
  • Personal Cars - Check with Accounting and Budgetary Control's web page under travel for more information



Vehicle Operators

  • All vehicle operators shall be holders of valid operator's licenses and required to complete a Faculty and Staff User Agreement form. Operator's licenses will be checked for validity prior to the initial use of a vehicle and periodically (annually) during the year. The Faculty and Staff User Agreement form is online under the Morehead State Police Department web page under forms.
  • All vehicle operators shall be employees or agents of the Commonwealth of Kentucky
  • For all trips involving students in fleet vehicles seating up to ten, a faculty or staff sponsor/advisor shall be responsible at all times for the operation of the fleet vehicle in accordance with all official policies and procedures.
  • In cases where the faculty or staff sponsor/advisor absolutely cannot be present, an employee or an agent of Morehead State University may be appointed to act under the direct supervision of the sponsor/advisor.
  • All vehicle operators and passengers shall be liable for disciplinary action by their immediate supervisors and the University's administration as well as any resulting legal actions for violation of any of the official policies and procedures governing the use of State and University vehicles. The University reserves the right to cancel trips at any time if a vehicle operator violates any official policies and procedures. If passengers in fleet vehicles violate any official policies and procedures, the University employee or agent should immediately cancel the trip and return the vehicle to the University.
  • Fleet vehicles are operated under the official policies and procedures governing the use of State and University vehicles. Persons utilizing fleet vehicles shall familiarize themselves and fully comply with these regulations.



  • An operator whose vehicle is involved in an accident resulting in damage to the vehicle or to any other property, or to any person, regardless of whether or not the operator was in the vehicle at the time of the accident, shall immediately prepare Department of Justice, Bureau of State Police Form KSP 232. The operator shall submit two copies of the form to the State Police if required by law.
  • When a police report is necessary, the operator or the university shall obtain a copy of the report and submit it to the Commonwealth of Kentucky Division of Transportation Services.
  • The Office of Facilities Management shall be notified by telephone at (606) 783-2147 of any accident involving a university or state vehicle. If an accident occurs after office hours, notifications should be left via voice mail. A copy of all police reports should be forwarded to the Office of Support Services.


State Credit Cards

  • A credit card may be furnished with the vehicle. A credit card shall be used only for the vehicle for which it is issued.
  • Credit cards may be used to purchase non-premium gasoline and oil compatible with proper engine operation.
  • Credit cards may be used for emergency services such as tire repairs, fan belts, hoses, etc, but the charges must not exceed $20 without prior authorization from either the Commonwealth of Kentucky Division of Transportation Services at (502) 564-4649 if it is a state vehicle or the Office of Physical Plant if it is a university vehicle.
  • Credit cards shall not be used for tune-ups or other general maintenance without prior authorization from either the Commonwealth of Kentucky Division of Transportation Services or the Office of Facilities Management.
  • The operator shall record the vehicle license tag number and mileage, and sign the charge slip for all credit card purchases.
  • Operators shall turn in the customer's copy of any credit card receipts with the vehicles at the end of the trip.

If an employee must use personal funds to purchase gasoline or oil for a state or university vehicle, they must attach a copy of the receipt to their travel expense voucher for reimbursement. In addition, they must provide the Office of Facilities Management the original receipt when returning the vehicle.

Every effort should be made to use a state or university vehicle before making alternate arrangements. However, the use of a private vehicle is preferred for transportation to and from airports on overnight trips. Since all vehicle requests may not be honored, those personnel on long trips and/or instructional trips are given priority. Otherwise, scheduling is on a first-come, first-serve basis to any faculty/staff member  with a completed travel request form and presentation of a valid driver's license. The cost associated with the use of the vehicle will be charged by the Office of Facilities Management to the employee's department budget.

When no university vehicle is available, an employee may use a private vehicle. If a private vehicle is used for official university business, the employee is responsible for their own liability insurance coverage. Drivers and passengers of university or state vehicles are covered by the university's liability insurance.

The allowed distance reimbursement is calculated by using the shortest and most frequently traveled route in accordance with state regulations. If an employee is entitled to additional miles, they must attach an explanation to their travel expense voucher. During bad weather, it is acceptable to take a longer, safer route and to claim full reimbursement with an attached explanation.


10 Passenger Van Guidelines

The Division of Fleet Management has issued the following guidelines:

  • There are to be no more than 10 occupants (including the driver) in a 15 passenger van.
  • Do not carry extra luggage or equipment inside the van.  The goal is to keep the weight of the vehicle to a minimum.
  • No luggage or equipment is to be loaded on top of the van.
  • The drivers of 10 passenger vans must be at least 21 years old and possess a valid driver's license.
  • The 10 passenger vans shall be driven only by employees or authorized agents of State Government or Universities.  All questions regarding the definition of "employee" or "authorized agent" should be directed to your agency or university legal counsel.
  • No trailer will be pulled at any time by 10 passenger vans, regardless of its size.
  • No roof rack, bike racks or similar devices may be attached to the van at any time.
  • All passengers must remain seat-belted whenever the van is in motion.
  • Evenly distributed passengers, luggage and equipment to keep loads as low as possible.
  • The use of cell phones by the driver is prohibited unless an immediate emergency requires it to be utilized prior to stopping.
  • Alcohol consumption is prohibited by anyone who will be driving a leased van.  The transportation of alcohol is also prohibited.
  • No seats should be removed from the 10 passenger vans.
  • We are currently working with the Division of Driver Safety to create a 10 passenger van driver safety course.  Once the program is finalized, we will require all drivers of 10 passenger vans complete this course.








© Copyright 2015 Morehead State University - 150 University Blvd. Morehead, KY 40351 • 1-800-585-6781
MSU is an affirmative action, equal opportunity, educational institution.