This is a certification only program which allows individuals with prior teacher education certification to become certified to teach at the P-5 level.
There are no options in this program. The program content focuses on understanding child development and effective teach of elementary age children.
Admission to Morehead State University (see MSU admission requirements).
Successful completion of prior program leading to teacher certification.
All teacher education candidates must apply for admission to the Teacher Education Program (TEP). The following outlines the TEP Admission Requirements.
GPA AND COURSE REQUIREMENTS
- Admission to MSU – In pursuit of completing a program leading to teacher certification
- Completion of minimum semester hours
30 hours for IECE, P-5, Middle Grades or Special Education
45 hours for secondary, 5-12 or P-12 programs
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale OR a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on the last 30 credit hours completed. All college courses attempted must be part of the applicant‘s MSU transcript. All transfer courses, as well as MSU credit, are used in calculating GPA. There is no rounding up.
- Completion of the following five core courses with grades of “C” or better:
ENG 100 Writing I
ENG 200 Writing II
COMM 108 Fundamentals of Speech Communication
EDF 207 Foundations of Education
EDF 211 Human Growth & Development (EDEC 253 for IECE candidates)
Students applying for the TEP at MSU must obtain the following scores on the PRAXIS pre-professional skills (PPST) assessments:
- Pre-Professional Skills Test: Mathematics - 174 AND
- Pre-Professional Skills Test: Reading – 176 AND
- Pre-Professional Skills Test: Writing – 174
For information about the praxis exams and to register for the test, please visit the PRAXIS website: http://www.ets.org/praxis.
- Methods, 15-18 Hours
- Content, 15-18 Hours
- Practicum, 6 Hours
Total Requirements, 36-42 Hours