Faculty ProfileView All Faculty Profiles
Brian Reeder, Professor Biology
Program/Dept: Biology & Chemistry
Degrees, Licensures and Certifications: B.S. - Biology, Youngstown State University; M.A. - Biology, Marshall University; M.S. - Environmental Biology, Ohio State University; Ph.D. - Environmental Biology, Ohio State University
Dr. Reeder has the distinction of having earned all three of MSU’s outstanding faculty awards: teaching, research, and service. His research has resulted in over 4-million dollars in grants and contracts, and more than 30 scholarly publications. His current research involves assessing primary production in wetlands, ecology and management of reservoirs and hatchery ponds, and regional river pollution.
Watershed monitoring and assessment
Dr. Reeder’s lab conducts research on surface waters and wetlands. Current projects include assessing primary production and nutrient cycling in wetlands, wetland restoration, fish hatchery pond management, and fate and transport of pollution in streams and rivers.
- Reeder, B.C. in press. Assessing constructed wetland functional success using diel changes in dissolved oxygen, pH, and temperature in submerged, emergent, and open water habitats at the Beaver Creek Wetlands Complex, Kentucky (USA). Ecological Engineering.
- Reeder, B.C. and R.J. Middleton. 2009. Advantage of organic supplementation of inorganic fertilizer in walleye (Sander vitreus) hatchery ponds at Minor Clark Fish Hatchery, KY. Journal of the Kentucky Academy of Sciences 70(2) 152-161.
- Reeder, B.C. and B.M. Binion. 2008. Algal community habitat preference in Old Woman Creek wetland, Huron County, Ohio. The Ohio Journal of Science 108(5):95-102.
- Schnieder, J., D.S. Maehr, K. Alexy, J.J. Cox, J.L. Larkin, and B.C. Reeder. 2006. Food habits of reintroduced elk in southeastern Kentucky. Southeastern Naturalist 5(3):535-546.
- Davis, S.E. and B.C. Reeder. 2001. Spatial characterization of water quality in seven eastern Kentucky reservoirs using multivariate analysis. Aquatic Ecosystem Health and Management 4(4):463-477
Institute for Regional Analysis and Public Policy affiliate Executive Director and founder of the Center for Environmental Education.
Wetland ecology and management, systems ecology, aquatic pollution tracking and managment, environmental education