The Master of Arts in Teaching program is an alternative teacher certification program. Completion of MAT results in a Master’s Degree and a Kentucky teaching certification. The program is designed for individuals who have earned an undergraduate degree in a certification content area or closely related field.
A Master’s Degree with a Professional Certification is the end result of successful completion of Praxis Exams and the 36 hour program.
Approved areas of teacher certification include:
- Middle grade – Math, Science, Language Arts, Social Studies
- Secondary – Math, Language Arts, Social Studies, Earth Science, Chemistry, Biology, Physics
- P-12 Certification – Spanish, French
Admission to Morehead State University (see MSU admission requirements).
Admission Requirements include:
- An undergraduate degree in a content certification or closely related area (transcript will be evaluated by an MAT Coordinator)
- A grade point average of 2.75
- A GRE score with the following corresponding minimum scores: Verbal--450, Quantitative--490, and Writing--4.0 or
- Pre-Professional Skills Test (PPST) with the following corresponding minimum scores: Mathematics--174, Reading--176, and Writing--174
- Completion of an MAT Orientation (required for final acceptance into the MAT Program)