Classroom Technical Assistance
A good percentage of computer-related difficulties can be solved by simply re-starting the computer. Always try re-starting before investing more time in solving a problem. If the computer is completely frozen, hold down the Power button until the machine shuts off, wait at least 30 seconds, then turn the computer back on again.
IMMEDIATE TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE
Call Ray Bailey at 3-5106.
Backups: Rodney Watkins at 3-2160, Tom Kmetz at 3-5111.
UNLOCKING THE INSTRUCTOR'S DESK
The instructor's desk should not be locked, but if you need to unlock it, there is a key available at the Reference Desk.
IF THE SMARTBOARD STOPS WORKING
Try re-starting the computer. If this does not work, call for technical assistance.
IF THE WIRELESS KEYBOARD OR MOUSE STOPS WORKING
- If you only need to click around, consider using the SmartBoard and touching the links you need. The SmartBoard can also provide an on-screen keyboard, but this may not be practical in some situations.
- If you need more functionality than the SmartBoard easily provides, remove the wired keyboard and mouse from the instructor's desk.
- Using the adaptor provided, plug the wired keyboard and mouse into one of the front USB ports on the instructor's computer.
- You may now use the wired keyboard and mouse as usual.
- Contact Ray Bailey at 3-5106 to let him know there has been a problem with the wireless devices.
PLAYING A VIDEOTAPE
- Turn the VCR on, and insert your tape.
- Turn the projector on.
- On the projector remote control, press 2, which toggles the input from the computer to video.
- Play your videotape.
- When finished, press 4 on the projector remote, to switch the input back to the computer.
PLAYING A DVD
- Turn the projector on.
- Insert the DVD into the computer's DVD drive.
- Wait. If a pop-up menu appears, choose to play the DVD in PowerDVD player.
- If no menu appears, click on PowerDVD on the desktop, and then click Play.
CONNECTING A LAPTOP TO THE PROJECTOR
- On the desk are cables with a laptop monitor hookup, sound, and Internet connectors. Hook the monitor connection or other cables into the appropriate ports of your laptop.
- This should display your laptop's image on the screen.
- If your laptop image does not appear, you may need to change the input on the projector. You may also need to toggle the display on your laptop. Usually, there is a function key on your laptop (F4, F6, etc.), which is used to toggle the display. This function key typically has the symbol for a monitor, or the words LCD/CRT. You also typically have to press SHIFT or Fn to access this function. Follow the process for your particular laptop.
Home | About Us | About the Classroom | Faculty Resources | Research Guides