MOREHEAD STATE UNIVERSITY
ALUMNI ASSOCIATION, INC.
Article I – Active or Associate Membership
Section A. There shall be no membership dues required but rather membership shall be gained by making a financial contribution to the MSU Foundation, Inc. Individuals graduating from MSU for the first time will be granted a complimentary active membership for the following twelve (12) months.
Section B. A contribution made to the MSU Foundation, Inc., between July 1 and June 30 of the following year, will constitute active membership in the Association for that fiscal year.
Article II – Officers and Elections
Section A. Officers. The officers of this Association shall be the President, President-elect, Vice President, Executive Vice President and Secretary-Treasurer. The President, President-elect and Vice President shall be elected from the membership of the Board of Directors. The Executive Vice President and the Secretary-Treasurer shall hold office by virtue of their respective staff positions as outlined in the Constitution of the MSU Alumni Association, Inc., and shall be non-voting members of the Board of Directors of the MSU Alumni Association, Inc.
Section B. Eligibility. No one shall be eligible to hold office who has not been an active member of the Association for two consecutive years immediately prior to his/her nomination.
Section C. Election of Officers. Election of officers will be held at the final meeting of the Board of Directors in each even numbered year. The officers shall be installed in their respective offices at the first meeting following election.
Section D. Terms of Office. The President, President-elect, and Vice President shall be elected to serve for a period of two (2) years.
Section E. Duties of Officers. The President shall be ex-officio chairman of all meetings, shall generally direct the activities of the Association, and shall represent the Association in meetings with University officials. The President-elect shall be ex-officio member of all board meetings and will assume the duties of the President in his or her absence or incapacity. Incapacity to serve shall be determined by a two-thirds vote of the Board of Directors. In case of absence or incapacity of both the President and the President-elect, the Vice President shall perform the duties of the President. Additional duties may be
prescribed for the President-elect and Vice President by the President and the Board of Directors.
Section F. Appointment and duties of the Executive Vice President. The Executive Vice President shall be appointed by the President of the University and confirmed by the Board of Directors of the Association. Confirmation is interpreted as a two-thirds vote of the quorum present. The duties of the Executive Vice President are:
(1) to serve as a member of the Alumni Association Board of Directors.
(2) to serve as a representative of the Association and liaison with the University.
(3) to supervise the organization of alumni chapters and annual solicitation of membership.
(4) to handle monies of the Association by paying bills incurred by the Association and authorized by the Board of Directors.
(5) to generally supervise and assign tasks to the alumni staff as requested by the Association.
(6) to generally promote and assist with all activities of the Association.
(7) to supervise all publications and printed materials by or on behalf of the Association.
Section G. Appointment and Duties of the Secretary-Treasurer. The Secretary-Treasurer shall be appointed by the President of the University and confirmed by the Board of Directors. Confirmation is to be interpreted as a two-third vote of the quorum present. The duties of the Secretary-Treasurer are:
(1) to serve as a member of the Board of Directors of the Alumni Association.
(2) to assist in the representation of the Association and carry on its necessary correspondence.
(3) to keep account of the monies of the Association by keeping the necessary records and to provide monthly financial statements to the Board of Directors.
(4) to attend all meetings of the Board of Directors and record and distribute minutes of said meetings to the Board of Directors.
Article III – Board of Directors
Section A. The Board of Directors shall consist of and adhere to the following:
(1) The affairs and business of the Association shall be conducted by the Board of Directors. The Board of Directors shall consist of no more than twenty-five (25) people who are active alumni or who are otherwise designated herein.
(2) The Alumni Board of Directors shall elect four (4) members from the active alumni membership each year. Each shall serve a term of three (3) years on the board. Members may not serve more than two (2) consecutive terms without a one-year hiatus.
(3) Membership on the Board of Directors shall represent the diversity of the overall alumni population.
(4) The president or designated representative of the Retirees Association, Student Government Association, Student Activities Council, Student Alumni Ambassadors and each active chapter of the Alumni Association will also serve on the Board.
(5) The Executive Vice President, upon consultation with the President shall determine the active chapters of the Alumni Association.
(6) The Alumni President shall appoint one (1) member from the active alumni membership each year. He/she shall serve a term of three (3) years on the board. Members may not serve more than two (2) consecutive terms without a one-year hiatus.
(7) The Board of Directors shall meet three times per year. Special meetings may be called by the President or upon the written request of not less than five (5) members of the Board of Directors.
(8) The immediate past President may serve on the Board of Directors for one year following his/her term.
(9) A quorum of the Board of Directors for the purpose of conducting business shall consist of a simple majority of the elected and appointed members. For purposes of quorum, any member of the Board of Directors may provide a proxy to the Executive Vice President, President-elect or Vice President to vote on such manners on behalf of such member and such proxy shall be included in the computation of members present to conduct business.
(10) Any vacancy occurring on the Board of Directors due to death or resignation of any member shall be filled for the duration of the un-expired term by appointment of a person from the active membership. Said appointment shall be made by the President.
Article IV – Standing Committees
Certain activities of the Alumni Association may be coordinated by committees made up of members of the Board of Directors and, when necessary, individuals from the general membership of the Alumni Association.
The following committees shall be appointed annually by the President:
Alumni Hall of Fame Screening Committee. The purpose of this committee is to review the nominations for the Alumni Hall of Fame. After screening, the committee shall present the top nominees to the Alumni Board of Directors for selection.
Special Events and Promotions. The purpose of this committee is to stimulate and plan alumni activities and to cultivate the interests of alumni in becoming engaged with the University.
Student Recruiting. The purpose of this committee is to involve alumni by contacting prospective students. Members would work within the framework established by the Office of Admissions with their overall recruitment plan.
Article V – By-Laws
The by-laws of the Association may be amended by a two-thirds vote of the Board of Directors, provided the amendment was submitted in writing and read at the previous meeting of the Board of Directors.
Effective July 1, 1990
Amended January 28, 1998
Amended April 28, 2001
Amended May 22, 2004
Amended September 15, 2007