Department of NursingMorehead State UniversityCenter for Health Education & Research316 W. Second St., Ste. 201Morehead, KY 40351Phone: 606-783-2296Fax: 606-783-9123
Amanda JewellAcademic Department SpecialistCHER 201Aarjewell@moreheadstate.edu606-783-2296606-783-9123 fax
The Associate's Degree in Nursing (ADN) program is accredited through the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN), 3343 Peachtree Road NE, Ste. 850, Atlanta, GA 30326. Phone: (404) 975-5000.
MSU's Baccalaureate Nursing Programs (BNP) are accredited through the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE), One Dupont Circle, NW Ste. 530, Washington, DC 20036. Phone: (202) 887-6791.
Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE)One Dupont Circle NW, Suite 530Washington, DC 20036
Kentucky Board of Nursing (KBN) 312 Whittington PkySuite 300Louisville, KY 40222
According to the 2011 Bureau of Labor statistics (BLS) report, Registered Nurses comprise the greatest number of healthcare professionals with a total employment of approximately 2.6 million jobs. The Registered Nurse (RN) has a panoramic set of responsibilities. The RN is responsible for treating patients, educating patients, families and the public, helping perform and analyze diagnostic tests and administering treatment and medications. The RN will also work to teach patients and their families topics such as diet, exercise, nutrition and self medication administration.
Registered Nurses are employed in a variety of settings. According to the 2011 BLS report, 60% are employed in hospitals, either public or private. RNs are also employed in physician’s offices, home health care services, nursing care facilities and employment services. Some RNs choose to pursue advanced degrees that allow them to practice as Nurse Practitioners, Nurse Educators, Clinical Nurse Specialists, Public Health Nurses or Nurse Anesthetists.
The job outlook for RNs is excellent. According to the BLS report in 2008 2,618,700 were employed. The projected employment in 2018 is 3,200,200, an increase of 581,500 or 22%. Demand will remain high for registered nurses in hospitals, employment services and extended care settings. In addition, there will be an increased demand for registered nurses will be in physician’s offices and home health services, according to the BLS report.
The average starting annual salary for a Registered Nurse in Kentucky is $40,314.
Admission to Morehead State University (see MSU admission requirements).
The Baccalaureate Nursing Program has a selective admission procedure. Enrollment in the program is limited. In the event there are more qualified applicants than available positions, students with the highest GPA will be accepted. Applicants to the BNP are selected based on the following criteria:
1. Completion of the 31 credit hours of the required pre-nursing courses listed in the curriculum sequence for the first year of the program.
2 . Minimum grade point average of 3.0 or above (with no rounding) based on the required 31 credits with no grade being less than a “C”.
3. A minimum grade point average of 2.5 or above for BIOL 234: Human Anatomy and Physiology I, BIOL 235: Human Anatomy and Physiology II and MATH 135: Math for Technical Students (or the equivalent).
4. Submission of ACT composite score. A minimum ACT composite score of 20 is required for admission eligibility.
5. More than two failures of any two required courses within three (3) years of application to the program will result in ineligibility for admission. Students with course failures prior to the 3-year period will be considered for admission if the student has demonstrated satisfactory academic progress (C or above in required courses) since the course failures. Full time study for two consecutive semesters will be required in order to evaluate academic status. At least two-thirds (2/3) of these credits must be in program required general education or support courses. This policy also applies to transfer students.
6. Applicants who are currently enrolled but have not yet completed the required 16 semester hours of the second semester at the time of application are eligible for conditional acceptance based on mid-term grades. Final acceptance will be dependent on maintaining course grades and grade point average as outlined in the above criteria.
7. Possess current certification by the American Heart Association in Basic Life Support for Health Care Providers (CPR).
8. Documentation of compliance with all health requirements.
9. Compliance with the Technical Performance Standards.
NOTE: Admission criteria and procedures are reviewed on an annual basis. It is the applicant’s responsibility to verify prior to theapplication deadline that the criteria and procedures have not been revised.
Conditions for Enrollment:
1. Students may be assigned to a clinical practicum area other than those in the immediate vicinity requiring travelingsome distance. Transportation to and from these settings is the responsibility of the student.
2. Clinical experiences and formal lectures may be required during various hours of the day, evening and night.
3. Students have the responsibility for the cost incurred by enrollment in the nursing program. This cost includesclothing, equipment, malpractice insurance and academic materials.
4. Students will be required to adhere to all policies of the health care agency to which they are assigned for clinicalexperiences.
Primary Phone: 606-783-2641Primary Phone: 606-783-2639
E-mail: Carla AagaardE-mail: Misty Lilley
HI: 29° LO: 20°
© Copyright 2014 Morehead State University -
150 University Blvd. Morehead, KY 40351 • 1.800.585.6781
MSU is an affirmative action, equal opportunity, educational institution.