MORE HISTORY AND FACILITIES - THEATRE AND DANCE
Earliest documentation of theatre and dance activities at Morehead State University date back to the 1930's. The drama students organized the The Revellers and soon became one of the most active organizations on campus. In 1934 and 1935, under the direction of Lucile Caudill, The Revellers produced Outward Bound by Sutton Vane and Holiday by Philip Barry.
In the 1950's, The Morehead Players, under the direction of Walter P. Covington, III took this children's theatre troop out into the region and performed for school children (over 6,000 in the 1954-55 academic year) in such places as Olive Hill and Maysville. The popularity of the Players was equally high on campus performing for as many 1,500 school children in a packed Button Auditorium. This organization brought much positive attention in the press for Morehead State.
The Morehead Players were popular also in the late '50's and early '60's with adults as well. Their diverse repertoire included performances of The Glass Menagerie, Oedipus, Murder in the Cathedral, Harvey, See How They Run, Brigadoon, and the Rainmaker. The Players had memberships in the Southeastern Theatre Conference and the American Educational Theatre Conference.
The MSU theatre program continued to flourish and grow under the leadership and outstanding teaching of faculty members such as William Layne, Travis Lockhart, and Kozy Hamilton. Recent productions include Medea, Noises Off, Spitfire Grill, Chicago, and Grease. This program has emerged as prominent light on campus and has helped to make Morehead State University synonymous with excellence in performing arts.
The Little Foundation, in honor of Lucille Caudill Little, presented a generous endowment to Morehead State University to fund theatrical productions for youth in the region and Commonwealth, The Little Company, MSU's touring theatre troop, performs for approximately 15,000 school children annually.
In 2009, as part of a campus-wide reorganization of the Division of Academic Affairs at Morehead State University, the theatre and dance programs were combined with those in music to become the Department of Music, Theatre and Dance. This Department is part of the School of the Arts in the Caudill College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences.
(Source: A Light to the Mountains: Morehead State University by Dr. Donald F. Flatt, MSU Professor of History Emeritus).
After decades of using the Kibbey Theatre and facilities in the Combs Building, the theatre and dance programs are now located in the recently renovated Breckinridge Hall, the home of the old "Breckinridge Training School." At the heart of the facility is the Lucille Caudill Theatre. Most of the performances in theatre and dance take place in the LCL. This black box theatre is equipped with state of the art lighting and sound equipment as well as the latest technology capabilities in design and production. Performances are also held in the large, historic Button Auditorium.
Also in Breckinridge Hall are the theatre / dance faculty offices. The large dance studio is located on the first floor. Also on the first floor is the Kozy Hamilton Costume Shop with an inventory of thousands of costumes. The costume shop is adjacent to the expansive scene shop. Theatre and dance students have full access to two microcomputer labs in Breckinridge Hall.