College of Education
News & Announcements
Information for Cooperating Teachers:
To ensure that you are aware of the expectations set out for educator preparation programs, student teachers, and cooperating teachers regarding the student teaching experience, we have prepared a review of key portions of the regulation governing student teaching in Kentucky, 16 KAR 5:040. A short assessment is included in this module to ensure the information was provided in a way that enabled you to understand all the expectations. You will need to print out the attachment, which includes the text of 16 KAR 5:040 and the explanatory notes: Some of the questions refer to the explanatory notes. You are welcome to refer to this information as you complete the assessment. A score of 100% is required. If a 100% is not received the first time, you may take any of the posted assessments in Edmodo until you receive an 18/18.
The assessment is located on the P-12 Cooperating Teachers page in Edmodo. To create an account with Edmodo, follow the steps below in Section A. If you already have an Edmodo account, follow the steps below in Section B. Section C will provide directions to accessing the assessment once on the P-12 Cooperating Teachers page in Edmodo. Section D will provide directions for receiving a certificate of completion once an 18/18 is earned.
Section A (Create an Edmodo account)
1. Go to www.edmodo.com
2. Click the “I’m a Teacher” link under Sign up now. It’s free.
3. Input your information and click Sign up
4. Edmodo will ask a series of questions to set up your profile. You must enter your school, but may click Next for the following question. You do not have to choose communities if you do not wish. Click Go To My Homepage.
5. Once you are on the homepage, click the + button next to Groups on the left side of the screen. Click Join and enter the group code 9nj1a8
6. You now have access to the P-12 Cooperating Teachers Edmodo page
Section B (Already have an account? Join the P-12 Cooperating Teachers group)
1. Go to www.edmodo.com
2. Login to your account
3. Once you are on the homepage, click the + button next to Groups on the left side of the screen. Click Join and enter the group code 9nj1a8
4. You now have access to the P-12 Cooperating Teachers Edmodo page
Section C (EPSB 16 KAR 5:040 assessment)
1. The assessment is located on the P-12 Cooperating Teachers homepage under latest posts. Click the Cooperating Teachers link under Groups on the left side of the page to view posts.
2. When you are ready to take the quiz, locate any assessment named 16 KAR 5:040 Assessment and click the Take Quiz button within latest posts. You do not have to complete the entire quiz in one sitting; however, you must complete it within the time period of 24 hours once it has been opened.
3. Once all questions have been answered, click the Submit Quiz button at the top right hand side of your screen.
4. A pop up will appear that asks if you are sure you want to end this quiz. Click yes.
5. The quiz must be rated before results can be viewed.
6. Click view results to view your score.
7. Once all of the above steps have been completed, a score will be sent to the EPSB Edmodo page to record your participation.
Section D (Directions for receiving a certificate of completion once a 100% is earned)
If you scored 18/18 (100%), please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following details in the email.
Edmodo Assessment Confirmation (This must be the specific wording in the subject line of the email.)
Your full name
EPSB ID# (Directions for accessing your ID# are located below.)
Specific Role (Due to discrepancies in the directions communicated for joining the specific Edmodo groups, please provide your role of University Supervisor or Cooperating Teacher.)
Once we receive this information, a Certificate of Completion will be sent to your email address. This certificate is valid only for the EPSB required portion of the cooperating teacher and university supervisor training completed through the online Edmodo Assessment created and verified by EPSB staff. Additional required cooperating teacher and university supervisor training will be coordinated by university based educator preparation programs. Please share this information with others who may not check Edmodo on a regular basis.
Directions for accessing your EPSB ID#: This can be located through your EPSB account.
Go to http://www.epsb.ky.gov/
Click the Login to EPSB under the EPSB Web Portal.
Enter your username and password.
Your EPSB ID# is located in the top left corner next to your username.
NEW! English As A Second Language (ESL) Endorsement Offered Online
In Kentucky and nationally, ESL is consistently identified as one of the greatest areas of teacher shortage. A national survey in 2004 found that it was the most difficult teaching position in the United States to fill. The Commonwealth of Kentucky has identified ESL as a major shortage area. The degree of need becomes clear when one realizes that between 1994 and 2005 there was a 417% increase in the number of English Language Learners in Kentucky. This was the second highest rate of increase in the entire nation.
Kentucky ESL endorsement requires a valid teaching certificate, a passing score on the specialty PRAXIS examination and 12 hours of coursework. Our program is unique in that it is offered totally online, thereby providing access to teachers throughout our service region, the state, and the nation. The four courses in this program are offered on an annual rotation starting during the summer semester, enabling the students in this program to complete the endorsement in one calendar year. This endorsement program builds on prior teacher certification completed through our undergraduate programs, or prior coursework in the University's various graduate programs in education, or through completion of teacher certification through an approved, accredited program. This endorsement can be completed either as a standalone endorsement or may be incorporated as an option within our existing Teacher Leader Masters programs.
To apply for the program, complete a graduate application found at http://www.moreheadstate.edu/apply/