Since 1887, the accomplishments of our students have made MSU an institution synonymous with musical greatness. Whether it’s our award-winning marching percussion leaving crowds awe-struck or our symphony band gracing the stage, our ensembles consistently earn national and international recognition. As a student in the music program at MSU you will have a lot to be proud of.
Turning Your Passion into a Career
We will prepare you to join successful alumni as acclaimed music teachers and professors, leading members in the music performance world, Emmy-nominated composers and commercial musicians in the music products and recording industries or as graduate students studying at the nation’s leading music schools and conservatories.
Our graduates pursue a wide range of careers including:
- Music education (private and public school teachers, college and university professors and private studio instructors)
- Performers (soloists in small and large ensembles)
- Music industry specialists (retail, publishing, technology and management)
- Director of music (band, choir, orchestral, church, military)
Whether you want to specialize in playing rhythms and melodies or teaching those essential musical elements to others, you can hone your specialty through any number of our academic programs including:
- Bachelor of Music Education
- Bachelor of Music in Performance
- Bachelor of Arts in Music
- Bachelor of Arts in Traditional Music
- Post-Baccalaureate Initial P-12 Teacher Certification Program
We offer the following minors:
- Traditional music
- Arts Entrepreneurship
Many of our students go on to pursue advanced degrees. We offer a Master in Music degree with areas of concentration in both music education and performance.
Whether you specialize in piano, percussion, strings, woodwinds, brass, voice or traditional music, your private study is an integral part of MSU’s music degree program. The Department of Music, Theatre and Dance offers private instruction in a vast array of instruments including:
• Brass Instruments
• Conducting (Choral & Instrumental)
• Electric Bass
• Jazz Guitar
• Jazz Piano
• Orchestral Strings
• Organ Percussion
• Traditional Musical Instruments
• Woodwind Instruments
Your opportunities to grow as a musician are numerous at MSU. Learn more about how you can be involved in performance areas and ensembles.
Admission and Scholarships
Apply to MSU and complete the online Music Admission and Scholarship Application on the department web site. Music admission and scholarship auditions are held on select dates or by appointment. Auditions are also scheduled in conjunction with select events hosted at MSU. If you are planning to major or minor in music, you must audition before the music faculty on your principal performing instrument or voice prior to enrollment in the music programs.