Student Support Services
This student-oriented program offers tutorial services, peer mentoring, academic, financial, and personal counseling. The program provides opportunities for cultural enrichment, academic development, assists students with basic college requirements, and serves to motivate students toward the successful completion of their postsecondary education. The goal of SSS is to increase the college retention and graduation rates of its participants and help students make the transition from one level of higher education to the next.
The purpose of Student Support Services is to increase the college retention and graduation rates of participants and help students make the transition from one level of higher education to the next. SSS provide opportunities for academic development, assists students with basic college requirements, and serves to motivate students toward successful completion of their post-secondary education.
Who is Eligible?
Student Support Services serves students enrolled at MSU who have an academic need and one of the following qualifications:
You must fill out a Student Support Services Application.
- Is a first-generation college student (neither parent has completed a 4-year college degree)
- Demonstrates financial need
- Has a documented disability
- Personal and Career Counseling: Counselors/advisors are available to help you understand and cope with the challenges students face in college. We help you make the transition to college and try to resolve problems related to your academic success. We can assist you with decisions regarding major and career choices.
- Academic Advising: Counselors/advisors provide advance registration advisement, drop/add advising, and assistance in developing realistic class schedules and class loads. Counselors monitor the academic progress of all participants periodically and conduct individual conferences to keep students informed of his/her progress and academic status.
- Individual Tutoring: Tutorial services are provided to participants on an "as needed basis" in a variety of general education classes. Tutoring is done by select MSU students who have demonstrated academic excellence and may help you with understanding course content, preparing for exams, managing study time and learning study skill methods. Group tutoring is also available.
- Grant Aid: SSS provides grant aid to current SSS participants who are in their first two years of college and have a financial need. You must be active in the program and maintain a certain grade point average.
- Computer Area: Program participants have the privilege of using SSS computers with FREE printing in the student study area and tutor rooms.
Student Support Services is here to ensure your student's well-being and academic success. If you need to reach us, please call our office at 606-783-2614.
Important Morehead State University Links
College Preparation Links
Check out the Student Support Services Newsletter for updates on programs, upcoming events and more.
Workshops & Cultural Enrichment
Workshops and Cultural Enrichment
Throughout the semester workshops are offered to enhance the academic and personal growth of students in the program. These workshop topics may include financial aid, financial literacy, technology, leadership, and career planning.
Cultural enrichment activities are planned each semester to expose participants to the fine arts and broaden their experiences. These activities, which are free to SSS participants, include attending theatrical and musical productions, museums, and other events.
Student Support Services Staff