The wellness promotion program integrates the specialized skills of exercise testing and prescription and program planning for health promotion. Graduates will be effective leaders in health promotion and exercise prescription for any organization that wants to improve the health of its community including worksite wellness programs, university recreation/wellness centers, health departments, YMCAs and other community - based wellness facilities, hospitals, clinics, commercial fitness, community health agencies and wellness websites.
This flexible, online program is designed to assist the working professional who wants to provide a higher level of service to their clients and patients. It is also an ideal program for students desiring a degree that will allow them to begin to help people live healthier lives, prevent illness and injury, and reduce the risk of chronic disease. Besides the core curriculum (24 hours), both options will allow the student to choose one of the following for the remaining 6 hours:
• Two electives approved by the department (6 hours)
• A directed research project (3 hours) and 1 elective (3 hours)
• Thesis (6 hours)
You can choose a one-year option or a two-year option to earn your degree.
- General admission to graduate study, including a minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.75.
- Completion of an appropriate undergraduate major is required for unconditional admission to the program and selected concentration (exercise science, exercise physiology, health promotion, health or physical education). Candidates with an undergraduate degree in another area(s) may submit a transcript to the department for consideration. The appropriate faculty will make an admission status recommendation, and when appropriate, include a list of undergraduate prerequisites that must be successfully completed prior to unconditional admission.
- A minimum GRE score of 139 for quantitative and 145 for verbal or a scaled score of 380 or higher on the Miller Analogies Test.
Graduates of this program pursue careers in school systems, health care professions, prevention, health education, wellness coordination, YMCA's, Boys and Girls Clubs, and more.
MSU's Career Services offers career planning, interview and resume preparation assistance, internship placement, and services to help you find a job after you graduate.