Skip to main content
Master of Arts in Teaching

best-online-250-300.pngIf you've already earned a bachelor's degree and you're looking for a change in career, you can earn a teaching certificate through the College of Education via the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) program. Completion of the MAT program results in a master's degree and a Kentucky teaching certification. The programs are designed for individuals who have earned an undergraduate degree in a certification content area or closely related field.

There are two routes through which you can complete MAT Certification in Middle Grades (5-9), Secondary Education (8-12) and Interdisciplinary Early Childhood Education (Birth-Kindergarten):

  • Through the Option Six route you will complete the program while teaching in an accredited Kentucky School.
  • Through the traditional route you will complete the program not yet employed as a teacher. The traditional route includes student teaching (200 hours in schools during your fall semester and 70 full days of student teaching during your spring semester).

Apply to MSU today and take your next step towards a career in education.

KY Educational Professional Standards Board (EPSB)

Upon meeting all coursework and testing requirements for program completion, a student may be awarded a degree in education from Morehead State University. However, it is important for students to be aware that while MSU recommends a student for certification the KY Education Professional Standards Board (EPSB) is the final authorizing agency to award certifications. Therefore, students must meet all rules and regulations set forth by EPSB as they govern all teacher education preparation programs within Kentucky.

For questions regarding regulations and certification contact Michelle Roberts.

  • Morehead (Residential Campus)
    150 University Blvd., Morehead, KY 40351
  • Admissions
    121 E. Second St., Morehead, KY 40351
  • Financial Aid
    121 E. Second St., Morehead, KY 40351
  • Accounting & Financial Services (Student Billing)
    207 Howell-McDowell, Morehead, KY 40351
  • Registrar
    201 Ginger Hall, Morehead, KY 40351
Major In You.