Skip to main content



Payroll Information

  • Employees are paid semi-monthly on the 15th and 30th of each month.  If the 15th or 30th falls on a weekend or University holiday, the pay release is the preceding workday.
  • Direct deposit is mandatory for all full-time employees, but is available to all employees. If direct deposit isn't elected, checks will be distributed by your department.
  • All employees must fill out a Form W-4 (Federal) and Form K-4 (State) for tax withholdings.
  • Exempt (salary) employees are paid on a current basis. Non-Exempt and students (hourly) employees are paid after the fact.

Where will I receive my check?

The department or unit head designates individuals permitted to pick up checks. These individuals then pick up checks from Accounting & Finanical Services on the pay release date. They are taken to a centralized departmental location for distribution.  If you are at an off-campus location, the department will mail your check to your work location. It may be possible for the department to mail your check to your home.  The department will determine if this is an option.

You may view your pay stub via MyMoreheadState.


Can I elect additional deductions?

Human Resources can provide you with information on additional types of services eligible for participation.  Payroll will only deduct for approved services or legally mandated deductions.


My address is incorrect.  Who do I need to contact to correct?

Regular employees should contact Human Resources at 606-783-2097. Student work-studies should contact the Registrar at 606-783-2008.

I lost my paycheck or stub, what can I do?

A lost paycheck will require a stop payment before a new check can be generated. Jeremy Withrow with Accounting & Financial Services will initiate a stop payment based on information provided by the department (i.e. name, date, and amount of the check). When the stop payment is applied, the information will be forwarded to the payroll office requesting a replacement check.

Tax Information

Employees must complete Forms W-4 and K-4 in order for the Payroll Office to withhold Federal and State income taxes from their paycheck. This information will remain in effect until a change in your withholdings is made.  Forms should be delivered to the Payroll Office at 310 Howell-McDowell either through mail, fax or by hand.

An individual wanting to claim "Exempt" from the Federal income tax must indicate this on the Form W-4.  Leave the allowance area (Box 5) blank and enter "Exempt" in Box 7 on the form.  This status is only valid for the calendar year in which it is submitted.  A new Form W-4 claiming "Exempt" must be submitted by February 15th of the following year.

Nonresident Aliens (NRA) must complete the appropriate paperwork.  If there is a tax treaty with the NRA's home country of residency, he /she may complete Form 8233 (available in the Payroll Office) for tax exemption.  Form 8233 must be completed each calendar year. We will also need your Visa, Social Security Card and the I-20 letter.


I didn't receive my W-2 form.  What should I do?

The IRS gives a deadline of January 31st to postmark the W-2's. You should contact the Payroll Office after the first week of February if you haven't received your W-2. It is very important that you notify the appropriate office to report an address change before December. Employee addresses are maintained by Human Resources, and student addresses are maintained by the Registrar's Office. Starting in 2011, W-2's were made available online. You must consent to be able to view them online via Self-Service, but you will not have to consent each year. If you consent to view online, you will not receive a printed W-2 in the mail.

What does OASD and HI represent on my stub?

Employer OASD (Old Age, Survivor's, Disability) 6.2% + HI (Health Insurance) 1.45%] = 7.65%

OASD is commonly referred to as social security.  The Social Security Administration (SSA) sets a wage base each year.

HI is commonly referred to as Medicare.  Medicare does not have a limit; therefore, all medicare wages will be taxed at 1.45%.

Please note that the percentages and limits listed are currently applicable and subject to change based on SSA regulations.


If I claim "exempt" from tax withholding, does that withholding status last until I make another change?

A W-4 claiming "exempt" from tax withholding will expire if a new form is not completed before February 15 of the following year.  In the absence of a new form, the IRS stipulates that payroll be taxed as if the employee is single with zero exemptions.

Direct Deposit Information

You will need to log into MyMoreheadState and access Self-Service to set up direct deposit (instructions). After the initial prenote, your funds will be transferred electronically to your bank. Once you enter your banking information via Self-Service, the next available payroll release will be considered a "prenote". The prenote is a bank requirement that represents a trial run to insure accuracy before actual money is transferred. When a prenote occurs, you will get a paper check as usual, however, there will also be a $0.00 transaction sent to your bank account.  This allows you time to verify the prenote. It also allows the bank time to notify the Payroll Office if the transaction was incomplete. It usually takes 3-4 days for our bank to notify us of an error. In the event that you switch your account, we will give you the option of waiving the prenote on your new account only when it remains in the same bank.
Any enrollments, changes, or cancellations made after the 1st of the month for the 30/31st end or the 16th of the month for the 15th end, will not be effective until the following pay release.
Please verify with your bank on pay day to ensure what money is available to you.