Skip to main content

Emotional Support Animals

The Office of Student Housing has a no-pets policy in its campus residences. Emotional support animals (ESAs) for students with emotional/mental disabilities are an exception to this policy under the Fair Housing Act when a request is made using the University's procedure and determined to be a reasonable accommodation. The Office of Disability Services is responsible for facilitating the process to ensure that legitimate needs are documented and addressed in a timely manner to afford an equal opportunity to use and enjoy University housing.

We respect the importance that an Emotional Support Animal may hold for you, so we advise early contact to allow adequate time to meet the requirements and make the arrangements involved. Keep in mind that this is neither an automatic nor immediate process. The actual time frame will depend upon the demand from all students being served by the Disability Services office at the point when your completed materials are received. Typically the review process can be completed within one to two weeks. Reading this entire web page will inform you of your role as well as what to expect from the University. It also contains some guidance that could spare you expense and time.

Request Accommodation

  • First, carefully read and complete the attached  ESA Request Form for Students; it explains the nature and intent of this accommodation as well as the qualification process.  It is especially important that you fully consider the responsibilities associated with having an ESA on campus that are not ordinarily part of a student’s lifestyle. 
  • If you believe that an ESA as described in the Request Form is applicable to your disability-related needs, you should discuss it with a mental health treatment professional with whom you have a therapeutic relationship. Generally this will be a local practitioner within the state of KY or your hometown area. If your treatment professional is supportive, you should ask them to complete the ESA Form for Providers.  
  • NOTE: Beware of advertising by online sites selling paperwork that recommends ESAs based on the results of questionnaires and/or a short interaction. A number of these sites have been identified as "documentation mills" and will not be accepted as valid providers by the University. 
  •  After completing the above steps, submit your request form and your treatment provider’s form to the Disability Services Coordinator for consideration. They may be sent as an email attachment to Evangeline Day, faxed to 606-783-9190, or mailed to Disability Services, Morehead State University, 150 University Blvd., Morehead, KY 40351. Requests will not be processed in person unless assistance is needed in completing the form or if the DS Coordinator needs to schedule a meeting to better determine your eligibility.
NOTE: Any animal that is brought to a campus residence hall (other than a trained Service dog) before proper approval will be subject to immediate removal and the student will be subject to disciplinary action, including fines. 
Questions about the ESA accommodation request process or eligibility criteria should be sent to the Disability Services Coordinator, Evangeline Day, or 606-783-5188 (fax: 606-783-9190).
  • Morehead (Residential Campus)
    150 University Blvd., Morehead, KY 40351
  • Admissions
    121 E. Second St., Morehead, KY 40351
  • Financial Aid
    121 E. Second St., Morehead, KY 40351
  • Accounting & Financial Services (Student Billing)
    207 Howell-McDowell, Morehead, KY 40351
  • Registrar
    201 Ginger Hall, Morehead, KY 40351
Major In You.