Skip Menu
Email Us!

FAFSA Information

All students are encouraged to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA is the financial aid form used to help students access grants, federal student loans and work-study funds.

2024-25 FAFSA Updates

If you are applying for aid for 2024-25, significant changes to the FAFSA (federal app for aid) are happening. You will need to apply in January.

View FAFSA Info


In general, you’re eligible as long as you:

  • are a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • are registered with the Selective Service, if required by law
  • are working toward a degree, diploma, or certificate
  • are making satisfactory academic progress (SAP)
  • do not owe a refund on a federal grant or are not in default on a federal educational loan
  • demonstrate financial need, if required
  • have not been convicted of drug distribution or possession

To complete the online FAFSA application process:

  1. Apply for an FSA ID (students and parents need an FSA ID).
  2. Complete the FAFSA and sign it electronically using your FSA ID(s).


The federal government and ACT provide electronic forms that estimate how much you might receive. No amount is certain until you apply, but these forms will give you a good, general idea.

Students may complete the FAFSA beginning on Oct. 1 and use their prior, prior year's tax information. For example, if you will be attending fall 2024, you must complete the 24/25 FAFSA as close to Oct. 1, 2024, as possible. Some financial aid awards have limited funding and are exhausted quickly.

If you declare yourself independent, you’ll need to gather the information below. If you are married, you’ll need to gather this information for you and your spouse.

If you declare yourself a dependent student, you’ll need the following for you and your parents:

  • Driver’s license and Social Security card (students only)
  • W-2 Forms and other records on money earned
  • 2014 U.S. income tax return (IRS Form 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ)**
  • Records of untaxed income, such as welfare, Social Security, TANF or ADC, or veterans benefits
  • Current bank statement
  • Current mortgage information
  • Business and farm records
  • Records of stocks, bonds, and other investments
  • Copies of records showing child support received or paid
  • Copies of records showing any income or benefits not mentioned above or reflected in income taxes
  • A copy of your high school transcript or GED (or statement of proof) may be required by the admissions or financial aid office before financial aid is awarded

**The IRS Data Retrieval Tool on the FAFSA may be used to retrieve information from tax returns filed by either the student or the parent.

Yes. The application is free and some sources of aid (unsubsidized Stafford loan and Parent PLUS loans) are available regardless of need.

For more information, watch this video about Financial Aid Myths from Federal Student Aid.

If you answer NO to all of the questions below, you are considered dependent. If you answer YES to any of these questions, you are considered independent:

  • Are you at least 24 years old?
  • Do you have a bachelor's degree?
  • Are you married? (Answer yes if you are separated but not divorced.)
  • Are you an orphan or ward of the court or were you a ward of the court until age 18?
  • Are you a veteran of the U.S. armed forces?
  • Do you have dependents other than a spouse who receive more than half of their support from you and will continue to do so through next summer?

Use this guide from the U.S. Department of Education to help you determine your status.

Federal Student Aid: Am I Dependent or Independent?


Parent financial information is required on the FAFSA of a dependent student, so a dependent student will not be able to qualify for need-based federal and/or state student aid without his or her parent’s help. Need-based federal and state aid will include Pell Grant, CAP Grant, SEOG, Work-study and Federal Direct Subsidized Loans. 

If your parent is unwilling to provide their financial information on your FAFSA, please complete the Statement of No Parental Support form

Dependent students are required to report parent information on the FAFSA. For reporting purposes, "Parent" means your legal (biological or adoptive) parent or stepparent, or a person that the state has determined to be your legal parent.

Federal Student Aid Parent Definition


This video will guide you through creating your FSA ID.


This video will help with username or password recovery.


  • Go to the FAFSA website.
  • Log in using your FSA ID as a returning student.
  • Once logged in, click the "Make Corrections" link and skip to the school section and add Morehead State University by using school code 001976.

When you file the FAFSA, you can sign the form using your FSA ID or by printing off the signature page and mailing it to the address listed on the printed page. If you (or your parents, if you are a dependent student) failed to sign the FAFSA, you can go back to the FAFSA website and sign the form electronically.

Contact US

Office of Financial Aid

121 E. Second St.
Morehead, KY 40351

FAFSA Code 001976

PHONE: 606-783-2011
FAX: 606-783-2293