Skip Menu
Email Us!

School of Business Administration offers tax assistance

During this filing season, Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) will be available at no charge to Morehead State University students, eligible employees and members of the community.

Through the University’s School of Business Administration, Department of Accounting, in conjunction with the Internal Revenue Service, the tax return assistance will be offered on Tuesdays from 3:30-6:30 p.m. (beginning Jan. 31) in room 111 of the Combs Building on campus. The office will not be open March 21.  It is free to students, and also to employees and members of the Morehead community with an annual household income of $54,000 or less.

No appointment is necessary. Taxpayers will be assisted on a first come, first-served basis, and no information will be accepted for return preparation after 6 p.m.
It will be necessary for taxpayers to bring with them documentation for any and all that apply:
  • Proof of identification (photo ID) for yourself (and spouse if married) AND Social Security cards for each individual who will be listed on the return. Service cannot be provided if you do not have these documents.
Also, you will need (but not limited to) the following:
  • W-2(s);
  • 1099(s);
  • A copy of last year's return (helpful, but not required)
  • Statements of other income;
  • Information for deductions and credits;
  • Proof of account for direct deposit of refund (if desired) (voided check);
  • All forms 1095, health insurance information
  • Proof of tuition paid (regardless of source of funds used) during 2016 for yourself, spouse, and/or dependents;
  • Cost of books for 2016;
  • Amount of scholarships and/or grants awarded in 2016.
  • For proof of tuition and scholarships/grants, you should bring a copy of your account for the calendar year of 2016.  This can be printed from MSU account Web page.
  • 1098-T
They also will help international students with their tax returns. These students will receive an email with details of the specific date on which they may receive help in preparing their tax returns.

Additional information is available from Karen Pierce, assistant professor of accounting, by calling 606-783-2389, or by emailing