Skip Menu
Email Us!

Housing Waiver Process

Students seeking an exemption to the Morehead State University On-Campus Residency Policy should familiarize themselves with this process before submitting their Housing Waiver and associated documentation.

  • Log into Housing Self Service via MyMoreheadState
  • Select “Applications”
  • Select “Housing Waiver” from the drop-down menu
  • Complete the initial request where you will outline the type of waiver for which you are applying (commuting from home, special circumstances, transfer residency experience, etc.)
  • You will receive an email within 24 hours to your MSU email account with further instructions
    • This email will outline documentation and supporting information that you must submit based on your reasons for application that you selected in the initial request.
    • Instructions will be provided within that email for upload and submission of your documentation for review. In order to reduce processing time and speed up your decision, please have all documents gathered before submission.

Once all documentation is submitted, Office of Student Housing staff will perform an initial review of your Waiver Request. A response (either approved or denied) will be sent to your MSU email within ten business days.

If your Waiver Request is approved, then you will see any pending charges for mandatory housing and dining removed from your account within seven days of approval. If you are currently under contract to live on campus you will need to cancel your housing contract via email to

Approval of a waiver does not cancel your contract automatically. Please note: Most waivers are valid for the entire academic year and you will need to submit a new housing waiver for each subsequent academic year that you wish to be exempt from the On-Campus Residency Requirement.

The Office of Student Housing reserves the right to grant a waiver for a shorter time period pending case-specific circumstances or details. Additionally, if during the approval period your information changes (change of residence address, etc.) you must notify the Office of Student Housing via email and may need to resubmit and recertify your waiver request.

If your Waiver Request is denied, and you would like to pursue living on campus, visit the Apply for Housing page for application instructions. Should you feel that additional consideration of your waiver request is needed, you can pursue a waiver appeal in truly rare/exceptional circumstances, see Waiver Request Appeal Information.

Contact Us

Office of Student Housing

200 Earle Clements Lane
Alumni Tower West
UPO 2525
Morehead, KY 40351

PHONE: 606-783-2060
FAX: 606-783-5062