Skip Menu
Email Us!

Research Opportunities

Research in the Department of Biology and Chemistry is done at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Undergraduate students are encouraged to pursue research projects because it is often in such a setting that the best and longest-lasting learning occurs. Many studies have shown that undergraduate students who conduct research are more likely to succeed in their careers and gain entrance to health professional schools at a higher frequency than students who do not conduct research.

Undergraduate Research Opportunities

The best way for students to initiate a research program is to contact a faculty member who is conducting a research project that interests them. Faculty research interests can be found by viewing the faculty member's profile page. If the Biology and Chemistry faculty member has room available in their lab, they will reach an agreement with the student about the project and how much time should be spent on it. In some cases, students may be able to secure funds through the MSU Undergraduate Research Fellowship Program. This program pays the students for each hour spent conducting research. To find out more about the program, students should ask the faculty member for which they intend to conduct research.

Another opportunity students may want to pursue is to conduct research for credit. The Department of Biology and Chemistry has a research topics course (BIOL 476) which gives credit for the learning experience of conducting research. In order to obtain credit, students must decide on a research project with their faculty members and have it approved by the department chair. At the time the research is done, a report must be submitted that details the project, procedures used, the results of the experiments and any conclusions that are made. If this is satisfactory, the student will be given credit for the coursework.

Graduate Research Opportunities

Research is also done at the graduate level in the Biology thesis-track degree program. This is much like undergraduate research, except a higher level of research is expected. Students must initiate their research in the same way as undergraduate students, by approaching a faculty member that is doing research in which they are interested. The procedures for completing a graduate-level research project are found in the graduate catalog. 
In some cases, the students are supported by graduate assistantships that provide a stipend for them in return for assisting in the teaching activities of the Department of Biology and Chemistry.

Research Links

Vertebrate Biology at Morehead State University- A record of fish and mammal specimens available at the University.

Contact Information

Department of Biology & Chemistry

103 Lappin Hall
Morehead, KY 40351

PHONE: 606-783-2945
FAX: 606-783-5002