Skip Menu
Email Us!

Veteran Benefits

Find information about benefits and what all veteran students are eligible for.

Eligibility for Veterans Benefits

You are eligible for benefits if your military service places you in one of the following chapters:

  • Chapter 33 - Post 9/11 GI Bill®. Provides benefits for Active Duty Veterans. (implemented Aug. 1, 2009)
  • Chapter 31 - Vocational rehabilitation benefits for disabled veterans. Chapter 30 - Montgomerey GI Bill® for Active Duty Veterans.
  • Chapter 35 - Education assistance benefits for dependents and survivors of certain veterans who have serious disabilities as the result of their service, or who have died of a service connected cause.
  • Chapter 1606 - Provides benefits to students participating in the National Guard and/or Reserves.

Applying for Veterans Education Benefits

Once you are advance-registered or registered as a student of the University:

  • File an application for benefits. Apply online at Chapter 35 will file VA form 22-5490, Application for Survivors' and Dependents Educational Assistance. Chapters 30, 33,1606, and 1607 will file VA form 22-1990, Application for Educational Benefits. The signature page must be mailed to the St. Louis, MO Regional Office (PO Box 66830, St. Louis, MO 63166-6830). You should also mail a copy of your DD 214 or DD Form 2384 (Notice of Basic Eligibility) and a copy of your contract if you are eligible for the college fund (kicker). Students applying for chapter 31 will need to contact the Vocational Rehabilitation representative for authorization to receive benefits. GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at
  • Dependents do not file a DD 214 but you must have the Veteran's file numbers to apply for benefits.
  • Once you have advance-registered or registered as a student at the university and filed an application for your VA education benefits, you must contact the School Certifying Official in the Registrar's office, Gary Cornett, at or 606-783-2618, for an enrollment certification to be submitted to the regional office.

Certification of Benefits

  • Veterans are certified only for those classes that are required for their degree program. It is your responsibility to take at least 12 hours of degree required courses to qualify for full-time benefits. You should make sure that all courses are required in your program. Audited courses do not count as part of your course load in qualifying for benefits. Courses that have a passing grade cannot be certified if the class is repeated. Courses not on your program evaluation cannot be certified.
  • If you change from full-time to part-time status you must file this change with the School Certifying Official.
  • Veteran Education Benefits are certified on a semester basis. Break pay, i.e., Christmas break, is no longer paid.
  • If you change programs or are a transfer student, you must fill out a Change of Program/Place of Training form with the School Certifying Official Gary Cornett in 201 Ginger Hall.

Verification of Enrollment

Everyone receiving MGIB - Active Duty benefits, as well as those in the Selected Reserve, must verify his or her enrollment each month to receive payment for that month. Your enrollment can be verified on the last calendar day of the month using the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or by calling the toll-free Interactive Voice Response (IVR) telephone line at 1-877-823-2378. Participants in the Post 9/11 chapter are not required to verify your enrollment through WAVE.

Military Initiatives

Military Initiatives

LTC Alan R. Baldwin Veterans Center
206 Adron Doran University Center
Morehead, KY 40351

PHONE: 606-783-2000