Skip Menu
Email Us!

Military Family & Dependents Benefits

Spouse Education Benefits – MYCAA

Unofficially referred to as Spouse Tuition Assistance, the Department of Defense Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA) program can provide up to $4,000 of financial assistance to fund associate degrees, certification and licensures for eligible military spouses. You may apply online.


  • Spouses of Active Duty service members in pay grades E1-E5, W1-W2, and O1-O2, including the spouses of activated Guard and Reserve members within those ranks qualify. Spouses of Guard and Reserve members must be able to start and complete their courses while their sponsor is on Title 10 orders.
  • Maximum financial benefit of $4,000 with a fiscal year cap of $2,000. Waivers will be available for spouses pursuing licensure or certification up to the total maximum assistance of $4,000.
  • Military spouses are required to finish their program of study within three years from the start date of the first course.
  • Limited to Associate degrees, certification and licensures.

Post 9/11 Transferability to Dependents

Service members enrolled in the Post-9/11 GI Bill® program may be able to transfer unused educational benefits to their spouses and/or children if eligibility criteria have been meet. Note that special rules apply for transfer eligibility.

Before a service member can transfer benefits to a dependent, they must request to transfer benefits. Access the transfer application on either the DoD website or GI Bill® website. ‘GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website.

Once the service member has transferred benefits to a dependent and the transfer has been approved, the dependent will need to go to the VA website and submit a VA form 22-1990e. This can be done in paper copy or online. To obtain a paper copy of this form, or to submit a copy of your eligibility certificate, please contact MSU's Veterans Certifying Official, Gary Cornett at 606-783-2878 or

If submitting a paper copy, mail the form to:

VA Regional Office
P.O. Box 66830
St. Louis, MO 63166-6830
Toll-Free: 1-888-442-4551

Children using transferred benefits will receive the monthly living stipend (BAH) and the book allowance. Spouses using transferred benefits will only receive the monthly living stipend and the book allowance if the service member is no longer on active duty.

Dependents' Education Assistance (DEA)

Dependents' Educational Assistance provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training. If you are a spouse, you may take a correspondence course. College Readiness, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.


You must be the son, daughter, or spouse of:

  • A veteran who died or is permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-connected disability. The disability must arise out of active service in the Armed Forces.
  • A veteran who died from any cause while such permanent and total service-connected disability was in existence.
  • A service member missing in action or captured in line of duty by a hostile force.
  • A service member forcibly detained or interned in line of duty by a foreign government or power.
  • A service member who is hospitalized or receiving outpatient treatment for a service connected permanent and total disability and is likely to be discharged for that disability. This change is effective December 23, 2006.

Kentucky Tuition Waiver

DEA recipients may also be eligible for a tuition waiver under the state War-Orphan statute. For more information visit the Kentucky Department of Veterans Affairs website.

State of Kentucky Tuition Waiver Program – Dependents of deceased or 100% disabled Kentucky veterans may be able to take advantage of the following waiver programs:

  • KRS 164.505 – Must be a child , stepchild, or non-remarried spouse of a service member who was a Kentucky resident when he or she entered military service and who was killed while in service or died of a service-connected disability
  • KRS 164.507 – Must be a child or stepchild under the age of 26 or the non-remarried spouse of a deceased veteran who was a resident of Kentucky or married to a resident of Kentucky at the time of death who served in the Armed Forces during a national emergency, was declared by Congress or action of the United Nations or who was killed on active duty or died of a service-connected disability acquired while on active duty.
  • KRS 164.512 – Must be a disabled child of a veteran who acquired the disability as a direct result of the veteran’s service.
  • KRS 164.515 – Must be a child or stepchild under the age of 26 or the spouse of a permanently and totally disabled member of the Kentucky National Guard or Reserve injured while on state active duty, active duty, active duty for training or inactive duty training; or permanently and totally disabled war veteran; or a 100% service-connected disable veteran regardless of wartime service; or a prisoner of war or member of the Armed Forces declared missing in action.

To apply, write to Tuition Waiver Coordinator, Kentucky Department of Veterans Affairs, 321 West Main Street, Suite 390, Louisville, KY 40202; call 1-502-595-4447 or toll free 1-800-928-4012.

Military Initiatives

Veterans Center

LTC Alan R. Baldwin Veterans Center
Jeremy Glover
206 Adron Doran University Center
Morehead, KY 40351

PHONE: 606-783-2000