Skip Menu

Guard & Reserves Benefits

If you are a member of the Reserve Component (which includes the National Guard), you may be eligible for many of the same educational benefits that are available to Active Component members – like Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) and VA educational benefits (GI Bill®).

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website.

Kentucky National Guard

Kentucky National Guard Tuition Award

In addition to the federal education benefits that are available to you, your state tuition assistance benefits pay for up to 12 hours of course work per semester, if you apply in time.

  • Summer & Fall Semester Deadline: April 1
  • Eligibility: Applicant must be an Active member of the Kentucky National Guard, must maintain all minimum standards, be eligible for all positive personnel actions, and have completed basic training or its equivalent.
  • Award: Up to in-state tuition for full or part-time study at any Kentucky public college while funds are available.
  • Application: Available by contacting the Boone National Guard at 1-502-607-1039.
  • Spring Semester Deadline: October 1

Other Reserve Components

Each Selected Reserve has a website where service members can go to seek out information on their education benefits. Your Education Services Office should also be able to provide you with this information.

Federal Tuition Assistance for the Reserve Component

Army Reserves & Army National Guard

Drilling Soldiers in good standing receive the same FTA benefits as Active Duty. Contact your local Army Reserve Education Office for assistance with TA or any other voluntary education assistance.

Apply for FTA

Navy Reserve

There are currently no tuition assistance programs for the Navy Reserve unless you are on continuous Active Duty, ordered to Active Duty 120 days (enlisted), or ordered to Active Duty for 2 years or more (officer).

Marine Corps Reserve

There are currently no tuition assistance programs for the Marine Corps Reserve. However, if you are activated under Title 10, you may qualify for the Active Duty Marine Corps Tuition Assistance.

Air Force Reserve

The Air Force provides several voluntary education programs for its reserve members, offering FTA up to the same rate as Active Component Airmen. The Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES) manages payment of the USAFR tuition assistance program. Contact your education service officer for information on how to apply for tuition assistance and other programs.

Coast Guard Reserve

USCG reservists have access to all of the educational programs available to Active Duty members. The Coast Guard Institute website has a complete synopsis of available programs and applications.

Deployment and Extended Absences Due to Military Service

In continuing efforts to reaffirm our status as a military-friendly institution, Morehead State University permits special accommodations to students who are disenrolled from the university for an extended absence, or decline an offer of admission, due to military service. If you are deployed or have military orders that take you away from your classes for an extended period of time, you will not incur an academic penalty per the University’s policy on deployments.

Drills/Activations and Short-term Absences Due to Military Service

Absences due to short-term military obligations are considered university excused absences. Even though the absence is excused, it is the responsibility of the student to notify his/her instructor of the absence and, if necessary, submit a request for excused absence through the Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs/Programs. It is also the student’s responsibility to request an opportunity to complete missed work, and complete all coursework according to the terms agreed upon between the instructor and the student.

Military Initiatives

Military Initiatives

LTC Alan R. Baldwin Veterans Center
206 Adron Doran University Center
Morehead, KY 40351

PHONE: 606-783-2000