Skip Menu
Email Us!

Graduation FAQ

View frequently asked questions about MSU's graduation (commencement) process and ceremonies.

The graduation fee partially offsets the production and mailing of diplomas, as well as the cost of commencement.

You will attend the ceremony in which your college is participating. For more information, visit the graduation information page.

Tickets are not required for the commencement ceremony, and there is no limit on the number of guests who may attend.

The accessible entrance to the Academic-Athletic Center is on the east side (right side) entrance of the AAC. Individuals with state-issued handicapped parking permits may drop off guests at the side entrance of the AAC and park in the designated area in front of Jayne Stadium.

Accessible seating for individuals with disabilities and one family member is available on the arena floor. Guests requiring special accommodation or seating on the day of the ceremony should plan to arrive at least one hour early to receive assistance.

Family members and friends who are unable to attend MSU’s commencement may view the ceremony via the MSU YouTube channel. Additional information regarding the live stream and a direct link will be available on the day of commencement on the graduation ceremonies webpage.

The official photographer for commencement is Grad Images. Candidates will be photographed as they receive their diploma cover on stage. Proofs and information from the photographer will be sent to the student’s MSU email address. There is no obligation to purchase photos.

Caps and gowns can be purchased online at The deadline to ship your cap and gown to the bookstore for pickup is March 13, 2024. Pickup will begin on April 15, 2024. The deadline for direct shipping is April 15, 2024. A cap, gown, and tassel are the official regalia that undergraduate candidates must wear at commencement. A cap, gown, tassel, and hood for the respective discipline are the official regalia that graduate candidates must wear at commencement.

The University Store has the exclusive Official Ring Collection of Morehead State University.

View all of Morehead State University's custom diploma frames and gift options at the University Store. All frames are handcrafted in the USA and customized for your Morehead State University diploma.

Graduate students must apply for graduation.

Bachelor degree candidates who complete at least 43 credits at MSU with an institutional (MSU) GPA of 3.5 to 4.0 through the student's last fully completed and graded semester will be recognized during the commencement ceremony as graduating "with honors." Specific honors of summa cum laude, magna cum laude, and cum laude will not be reflected in the commencement program.

Associate degree candidates who complete at least 32 credits at MSU with an institutional GPA of 3.6 to 4.0 through the student's last fully completed and graded semester will be recognized "with distinction."

Students entitled to commencement honors will be notified via their MSU email address and will receive a gold cord from the Registrar's office at no cost to them to wear at the commencement ceremony. Honor cords are distributed to only those students participating in the ceremony. If a student is not participating in the ceremony and has honors, the appropriate honors will be noted on the student's official transcript and diploma.

Postbaccalaureate, Master's, Ed.S., and Ed.D. degree candidates do not receive honors.

You indicate how you want your name to be printed on your diploma when you apply for graduation. The first and last name on your diploma must be the legal name that is listed in MSU’s database. Middle names are optional on the diploma and a middle initial may be used in place of a full middle name.

Undergraduate diplomas display your legal name, degree, major or area and honors (if applicable). Minors and second majors or areas are not shown on your diploma, but they will be on your official transcript.

Graduate diplomas display your legal name, degree and program of study.

Once your degree has been conferred you will receive notification to your MSU email account. Your diploma will be mailed to the address provided on your degree application about six weeks after your degree has been conferred. You will receive an email notification once your diploma has shipped.

If your name has changed, you will need to send an email to and also submit a name change form through the Registrar's office, along with the appropriate documentation (e.g., marriage certificate, divorce decree, or other court documents).

View Name Change Form


You may update your address, email address, phone numbers, and emergency contact information online using MyMoreheadState.

  • Step 1: Log into your account.
  • Step 2: Select the Self-Service Link. Self-Service icon
  • Step 3: Select the "User Options" icon located on the left navigational bar
  • Step 4: Select "User Profile" or "Emergency Information"
  • Step 5: Select the "Pencil" icon to update your information or the “Add New Information" button to add addresses, email addresses, phone numbers, and emergency or missing person contact information.
If you do not have access to MyMoreheadState, you can submit the Change of Address Form. Please complete the form, sign it and email it to or you can mail the completed form to:

Office of the Registrar
201 Ginger Hall
Morehead, KY 40351

Note: International Students must complete their change of address through the Office of International Services.

Students with work "In Progress" or who have classes with grades of "Incomplete" will be allowed to participate in the commencement ceremony. However, all "In Progress" work and "Incomplete” grades must be converted to official grades before the degree can be awarded.

Contact to determine if your degree application is still valid and can be moved to a future term. This will enable your graduation application to be transferred to a future term and prevent you from paying the application fee again. Graduate students should contact the Graduate School at

No, undergraduate students who are just receiving a certificate cannot participate in the commencement ceremony.

If you are receiving a bachelor's degree, in addition to a certificate, you may participate in the commencement ceremony.

Contact the Registrar's Office

Office of the Registrar

201 Ginger Hall
Morehead, KY 40351

PHONE: 606-783-2008
FAX: 606-783-9103