Skip Menu
Email Us!

Advising FAQ

Undergraduate students who complete at least 67% of all credits attempted are making satisfactory academic progress. For example, a student registers for 15 credits during the fall semester and 15 credits during the spring semester for a total of 30 credits attempted. If you complete 21 of the 30 credits, then 67% (do we round up? Is it 20 credits or 21?) of the total credits attempted have been completed and the criteria for Satisfactory Academic Progress have been met. Your GPA also impacts Satisfactory Academic Progress. Credits attempted include all classes for which you receive a passing grade, or “E” or “I” (incomplete), “U” or “W” (withdrawal). Credits completed are all classes for which you receive a passing grade. Undergraduate students also must have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher by the end of the second year (four semesters) and each evaluation period thereafter. If you have questions, please contact your financial aid counselor.

Visit the department of that major or minor to begin the process.

The sooner the better, but you can declare a major anytime in your academic career. We recommend that you begin by analyzing your goals, interests, and skills and then research career opportunities that align with your interests.

Yes. One example is provisional admission to MSU. Provisional (conditional) admission status requires that you cannot declare a major until you meet the requirements to exit the Provisional Studies Program (PSP). However, there are no additional courses required for the PSP and the PSP staff will help you work towards whatever major you want, so there is no wasted time to graduation.

Yes. The reality is that most students do change their major at least once in their academic career. This decision to change your major should not be made hastily. Before making the final decision to change your major, you should first do your research, speak with our Career Services Center, and speak with your advisor and current working professionals to gain additional insight about that profession.

Possibly. Students who select a major (no fewer than 30 semester hours) are required to complete a minor with a few exceptions. Should a student elect to complete two majors, a minor is not required. Students may also complete more than one minor if desired. Students who are enrolled in a program that is an area of concentration (no fewer than 48 semester hours) are not required to choose a minor. A major, minor or area of concentration is not required for the Bachelor of University Studies degree.

Your advisor is an excellent campus resource who can answer a wide range of questions and provide information about your program, of which you may not be aware. Meeting with your advisor is also a way to ensure that you will stay on track and meet your educational goals in a timely manner.

Students should follow the catalog for the academic year in which they started taking classes at Morehead State University. If program requirements change in subsequent years, students may consult with an academic advisor to determine if it is in their best interest to change to the newer catalog

Contact Information

Academic Advising

321 Allie Young Hall
Morehead, KY 40351

PHONE: 606-783-2084